Manager Licensing Requirements

There are currently ten states that require certification of community association managers.

In 2013 Colorado enacted House Bill 1277 (HB 1277), which requires community association managers to be licensed by the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA).

Q: Who needs to be licensed under Colorado HB 1277?

A: Any person or entity that performs ANY of the community association service outlined below to any form of common interest community (HOA, POA, etc.) for any form of compensation must be licensed by July 1, 2015.

  • Assisting in the creation and implementation of a reserve program for the replacement of capital assets.
  • Assisting in the provision of notice or conduct of meetings of board members or unit owners
  • Contracting for or coordinating maintenance of property and facilities of the common interest community
  • Conducting property inspections, administering applications for architectural review
  • Keeping records of violations of the governing documents of the common interest community
  • Performing other services relating to the day-to-day operation of the common interest community

If you are reading this, YOU likely need to be licensed if you perform one or more of the functions above OR you are compensated for your services. Alternatively, if you are not provided with compensation to provide management services for your association, then you do not need to hold a license.

Q: How does someone get licensed?

A: In order to meet licensing requirement, you must complete the following:

  1. Complete a state-approved 24-hour course on community association managment OR hold one of the following credentials?
    • Certified Manager of Community Associations (CMCA)
    • Association Management Specialist (AMS)
    • Professional Community Association Manager (PCAM)
  2. Pass the core compentency and state law exam.
  3. Submit a set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of conducting a fingerprint-based criminal history check.
  4. Complete the DRE application for licensure.
Q: What are the credentials issued?

CMCA – Certified Manager of Community Associations

AMS – Association Management Specialist

PCAM – Professional Community Association Manager

The above credential designations are certified by the Community Association Managers International Certification Board.

Q: Legislation and Rules
Q: When did Colorado HB 1277 go into effect?

A: January 1, 2015


Here are some useful links to get around our site!

Ready to get started?